In the true spirit of love for DIY projects, savvy budgeting and for the sake of saving storage space this project came to be! I came up with a way to DIY two sided wooden farmhouse style signs without using a saw, or any power tools. And no trips to home improvement store! Yep, and it turned out great plus I got 6 different farmhouse wood signs for the price of 3!
This project was so much fun and because I do already own a Cricut vinyl cutting machine I was able to cut my own designs for my signs!
Here is how it’s done and what you will need for this project.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE DIY FARMHOUSE WOOD SIGNS
- Blank signs or a sign. Mine are from Hobby Lobby from unfinished wood section. They have perfect selection and run sales every other week just checkout their online sale section!
- Vinyl cutting machine. (If you do not own one, simply purchase ready stencils from the craft store and paint letters and designs instead of cutting them out!
- If you own vinyl cutting machine you need vinyl, weeding tools, 12×24 cutting mat, transfer tape. I buy most of my products on Amazon. I used black and white vinyl for my designs.
- Paint for the background of the signs. I used beige, sage green and maroon.
- Paint brushes.
- Screw driver. Use it to remove hangers completely or attach it to both sides of the sign frame. I removed them completely from mine.
PREPARE WOOD AND PAINT IT.
Wipe down the wood side that you will be painting to remove any dust.
Remove price stickers from the back.
Paint the surface carefully because you do not want lots of paint to get on a frame of the sign.
But if you do get some paint on it’s ok. Your sign will have slightly imperfect painted edges that add rustic flare and character.
NOW CUT THE VINYL AND APPLY DESIGNS TO THE SIGN
Once I painted my signs I LET THEM DRY FOR 24 HOURS BEFORE ADDING VINYL TO AVOID PULLING UP THE PAINT when vinyl was applied.
While paint was drying, I started cutting vinyl and weeding the designs. Once the paint dried and cured I applied vinyl designs on! If you don’t work with vinyl often this step may take some time. But the outcome totally worth it!
I have purchased sign SVG’s on Etsy except for HARVEST, BAKERY words those I designed myself. Average SVG cost between $2-$4 approximately.
REMOVE THE HARDWARE.
I REMOVED ALL THE HARDWARE AND SAVED IT FOR FUTURE USE BECAUSE I WILL USE MY SIGNS AS LEANERS.
Remove hardware and save it for future use or leave one on each side if you will be hanging your signs on a wall.
The backs of my signs each had 3 hangers that I did not need, so I removed them with a small screwdriver.
Then I just left holes from the screws unfilled. They add to reclaimed and rustic feel of my two sided DIY farmhouse wood signs.
NOW ITS TIME TO SEE HOW MY DIY TWO SIDED FARMHOUSE WOOD SIGNS TURNED OUT!
Just take a look at my signs actually being displayed in our little house!
NOW I SHOW EACH SIGN FROM BOTH SIDES AS WELL AS BEFORE!
LARGE SIGN BELOW! IT TURNED OUT BEAUTIFULLY!
NOW THE SMALL SIGN NUMBER ONE!
SMALL SIGN NUMBER TWO!!
I hope you got some inspiration from my project and make some lovely signs for your home as well!
Happy sign making!