Baked eggplant steaksCourse: AppetizersCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
This recipe makes a great side or a light meat free dinner. Creamy garlicky mayo adds perfect flavor to eggplant.
1 large eggplant sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
1/4 cup of mayo
1-2 cloves of garlic grated
2 large carrots finely shredded
generous pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil (I use cooking olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Line baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wash eggplant, cut both ends off, slice into 1/2 inch slices. I do not peel my eggplants and leave skin on because it helps to hold shape of the slices when they’re done.
- Put eggplant slices into large container with lid, sprinkle with salt and add olive oil. Close lid and shake well to coat.
- Layer eggplant slices in one layer on baking sheet and bake for 25 min. Cool.
- Shred carrot and set aside.
- Grate garlic and mix with mayo. Spread tops of baked eggplant slices with garlicky mayo and top with shredded carrot. Refrigerate.
- This recipe is simple, delicious and filling. Keeps well in a fridge for 2-3 days. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley for added flavor and enjoy!
- Tips: 1. Skip garlic if you are not a fan of it! 2. If you are removing skin from an eggplant do not overbake it or it becomes too soft.